C3 Annual Awards
Outstanding Career Practitioner of The Year
This award recognizes UNC-CH career development professionals for outstanding performance in day-to-day service to students, campus/employer partners and the university. The awardee demonstrates a combination of adherence to the university’s mission, embracing an unwavering commitment to excellence in serving students, and to the career counseling profession.
Best Practices Award / Innovation Award
This award seeks to highlight an innovative and/or consistently effective career services initiative presented during the academic year that benefits students at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Distinguished Diversity Initiative
This award recognizes an individual or office who through their initiatives and commitment, have demonstrated a high degree of cultural responsiveness within the domain of career related activities.
Awards Recipients (recipient descriptions are based on info provided in nomination forms)
- Outstanding Career Practitioner of the Year: Steve Hicks, Associate Director, Undergraduate Business Career Services, Kenan-Flagler Business School
- He is incredibly thorough in his relationship-building with employers, and employers regularly provide feedback that they trust and value Steve’s insights at a very high level. Steve is always thinking about the employers he works with, regularly sharing information with them to help them do their work effectively. He forms real connections – understanding their personal backgrounds, the work of their company, and their goals, to help them plug into the right opportunities at the right time. Steve is truly curious about the people he meets, and uses his coaching skills to listen intently and help them problem-solve. He looks to make the recruiter’s job easier while still putting the students’ best interests first.
- Best Practices Award / Innovation Award: Lori Haight, Director of Career Services, School of Information & Library Science
- During the pandemic, she connected with other North American iSchools to help form the Information Schools and Colleagues Collaborative Network, which now consists of 15 schools that meet regularly to develop and implement large-scale educational and recruitment events for prospective students around the United States and globally. The network hosted 4 virtual recruiting events over 2 years, with a total of 25 institutions participating. The largest event, INFOcon 2021, had over 20 faculty ‘lightening talks’ on a wide variety of subjects and areas of interest in the field. The hope is for this partnership to extend for many more years into the future.
2020 (not offered in 2021 due to COVID):
- Outstanding Career Practitioner of the Year: Sandra Chandler
- Best Practices Award / Innovation Award: Amy Blackburn
- Distinguished Diversity Initiative: Brandy Arellano
- Outstanding Career Practitioner of the Year: Sarah Crockett
- Best Practices Award / Innovation Award: Sheena Jacobs
- Distinguished Diversity Initiative: Tamara Taylor & Jayne Davis
Past Awards Recipients’ Testimonials
“The C3 award recognized a pivotal partnership between Carolina Covenant Scholars Program and University Career Services to align college majors with career aspirations for the University’s lowest income students. Since this award, our partnership has grown. Together, our offices obtained grant funding to provide Covenant Scholars with high impact professional development over the summer months, helping them advance their professional goals and lowering financial barriers to opportunity.” Jayne Davis
“As the 2020 recipient of the Outstanding Career Practitioner of The Year Award, I strongly encourage members of the career services community to consider nominating their peers for one of the C3 awards. This opportunity to nominate your peers provides a way for those around you who work tirelessly every day in support of our students all year long to be recognized for the great work they do that may not be seen by others around campus. There are three (3) categories you can select from: Outstanding Career Practitioner of The Year; Best Practices Award / Innovation Award; Distinguished Diversity Initiative. Surely there is someone within your team who is deserving of recognition!” Sandra Chandler